IDEA² provides mentoring and connections to biomedical innovators around the world to develop their project ideas and to provide the expertise to realize them. It is especially valuable for trainees, early-stage professionals and those who have few opportunities in their normal work to participate in innovation projects.
Each 6-month edition of IDEA² recruits new project teams of one or more individuals, and provides innovation training, presentation skill building, and team-specific mentorship and guidance by internationally-recognized experts.
Teams who complete IDEA² have technology projects more clearly focused on unmet medical needs, a broader network of connections, and improved ability to compete for collaborators and funding.
What's the IDEA² process? How do the mentors help the teams? Program chair Dr Mercedes Balcells-Camps and mentor Dr Norberto Malpica give an overview.
IDEA² returns for 2021
After a pause during the COVID-19 pandemic, IDEA² plans a return for 2021. Learn more about our recruiting plan for the year.
- Project teams are recruited internationally through a call from universities, medical centers, and entrepreneur sector
- Focus on people and teams that can benefit most from mentorship and international expertise
- Partners can participate in recruiting and selection through many means, such as custom calls for applications, special events like competitions, sponsorships, and prizes.
- Teams are matched with mentors for specific expertise
- Teams typically interact 1:1 with mentors 2–4 times, but there is no limit
- Impact proposition workshops help teams refine their project definition, strategy, and story
- Additional pitch skills workshops help teams prepare to make the case for support or collaboration
- Partners can participate as mentors, resource connections, and/or workshop faculty
- Awardee teams connected to additional resources and support
- Teams compete for further funding and investment from other sources
- Teams enjoy expanded network access
- In some cases, teams start new companies